Thursday, August 20, 2009

On My Soapbox

We started out today by getting the treats prepared again for the Skidettes. This was our third time and the kids are definitely getting the hang of it. I think Zachary's issue is mostly that he can't mulit-task. And since he pretty much talks non-stop, it is difficult for him to count and bag cookies at the same time. Regardless, I think the kids are getting something out of it. Last week we even got to see the home for battered women and children where we donate our used clothing and toys. It was great for my kids to see that real kids are benefitting from their stuff. As we went through Annalise's clothes last week, I noticed that she was much more willing to part with things than in the past. Hopefully it will be eye-opening to her that others are in much more of a need than she is. Maybe she'll learn that the t-shirt she wears once every couple of months would be more useful to a kid who would wear it every week. (By the way, for those of you in the LA area, this shelter is always in desperate need of children's clothing. So if you have any gently used clothing, toys, nursery items, etc. to give away, please bring it to my house and I'll arrange to have it delivered. These families arrive often with literally just the clothing on their backs. They are in need of everything. For those of you not in the LA area, there is a great need for donations at all shelters, especially in these tough times.)

When we took the train down to Olvera Street a few weeks ago, something caught my eye as we passed through Chinatown. We saw the offices for Homeboy Industries. Homeboy Industries was founded by Father Greg Boyle about twenty years ago as a means to get kids out of gangs by doing something as simple as giving them jobs. They started out small and have expanded greatly to include a bakery, silkscreening, a cafe and other small businesses. All the employees are people who are trying to find a life outside of gangs. Our church has been selling their bread and using their services for years, but I had never seen their headquarters. So today my mom and the kids and I took the train to the Homegirl Cafe. It is a small restaurant, but it was completely packed. I suspect that most people come to have lunch there while at a break from the courthouse or other nearby businesses. The food is healthy, delicious and really inexpensive. Much of their produce is grown organically in the Homegirl garden. The kids wolfed down their chicken tacos and then picked apart my mom's salad, eating green peppers, zucchini, jicama, mango and more. I was too busy eating my salmon taco and carnitas and apple taco (SO good!) to share. We also HAD to take home some cookies and brownies for later. While I was wandering with Juliette in the Bjorn after I was finished (and so was she!), I noticed a sign that said that their headquarters would be closed on Friday because of a furlow day. Apparently their funds are really low right now. Check out their website at : www.homeboy-industries.org. (Wow! That just turned purple on me. How cool is that!?) They are having a virtual carwash right now to raise funds. And the next time you take the train from Pasadena into Union Station, take a quick detour in Chinatown (You'll see it from the platform.) to have a delicious, helathy meal or grab a tasty treat. You'll be helping out a great group of people.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is awesome with such sincere insight and purpose!!! I love the deeper sentiment, while at the same time I marvel at what your children are willing to eat! Impressive on all levels.

    ReplyDelete