Friday, January 29, 2010

A Girls' Morning

Today was a rarity. Zachary had school, but Annalise was off. So we decided to go out to breakfast. My friend Sarah's mom came over to babysit for Juliette so that Annalise and I could really enjoy ourselves. And we did! With three, I feel like Annalise is sometimes the one who gets the shaft as far as alone time with me. Zachary and I get time during the mornings he's home when Juliette is sleeping. Obviously Juliette and I get time when the others are in school. But I have to make special arrangements to have one on one time with Annalise.

Seven is such an interesting age. She is on the verge of being very independent. She can do so much on her own and loves to have that independence. She will close her door now and turn up her music and hang out by herself or with a friend. She wants to do her own hair and pick out her own clothes. She can help her brother make his lunch. She will ride up ahead on her scooter to ride down the big hill by our house all by herself. But she also wants to come in and cuddle in the mornings and night. She still loves to play with dolls and Legos. And she is very silly! When I was her age, my friend, Sarah, and I walked to school all by ourselves. (Actually we walked all over town when we were supposed to be on our way to school, but that's another story for another day.) We rode our bikes to "The Plaza" (the Vons shopping center) every Saturday and stayed for hours. We were so independent. But I also remember going to camp at age nine and crying every night because I missed my mommy. Even today, Annalise was wearing her skinny jeans with her ballet flats (She's way more hip than I am.), but she skipped and held my hand as we walked into the restaraunt. It's definitely an age of contradictions.

So our breakfast today was a great check-in time. We talked about her plans to go to Stanford. (Have I mentioned that before? "I don't know why. I've just decided I want to go to Stanford." She'd better work on those soccer/dance/softball/ANYTHING skills that will get her a scholarship! The other night I woke up in a cold sweat when I realized that if Annalise is the same age Jason and I were when we got married, that we will have two kids in college at the same time as we're planning a wedding!! Yikes!!) Anyway, we talked about her college plans and how she wants to do a year abroad like Auntie Sarah did. Actually she's trying to talk me into doing a summer in Italy with Uncle Billy and Auntie Carlotta NEXT YEAR! Crazy girl! But we laughed and were silly and had a great time! My friend Courtney is having a girls' weekend in New York right now with her mom and sisters. I can't wait to have that with my girls! For now I will take these little opportunities for "big girl" time when they come. She's growing up before my eyes, and it's nice to stop and take it all in before the moment has passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment