Friday, January 29, 2010

Roasted Broccoli

I was watching some cooking show recently (maybe the Barefoot Contessa? I don't remember). Anyway, she made roasted broccoli. So I decided to try it. My kids are pretty good vegetable eaters, but not really by choice. They will eat raw red peppers and mushrooms (Zachary) and raw carrots (Annalise) in addition to frozen peas (still frozen) til the cows come home. But they sometimes take a little coaxing to eat green veggies. So I tried this and they LOVED it!! And by loved, I mean LOVED! Zachary said, "I can't believe my LIFE! This is SO good!" Annalise said they tasted like a chip, only saltier. (They only had a sprinkling of salt, too!) Both asked for more and we actually ran out of seconds. Usually I am eating all the broccoli left in the bowl, but that night I didn't get any seconds! Last night we tried it with asparagus with equal success. It may take more vitamins out of the veggies than just steaming (I don't know), but I'm not sure how much I care at this point! And, it was SO easy! Here's all I did:

Roasted Broccoli

cut up broccoli pieces
drizzle of olive oil
sprinkling of salt
sprinkling of pepper

Put the broccoli on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir it all together to coat. Place in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Stir or shake the pan every 7-10 minutes and remove from oven when it starts to get brown in parts. Or just taste a bit and see if you like it. It's not an exact science. (For asparagus, I cut the asparagus spears into bite size pieces and then did the same thing.) Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I am trying this and will report back!!!! Wish me luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW I love your About Me pic-even though I am sure it is Juliette, it could be any of your babies! SOO cute

    ReplyDelete